Wednesday 11 November 2009

Jeremy Vine's bedtime Stories

Did you listen to Jeremy Vine's bedtime story feature on BBC Radio 2?

He ran a poll to discover the best bedtime story and The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson won. I voted for The Gruffalo and I'm really glad it won. I think it's a fantastic children's story and one which is sure to become a classic. I fully expect my children to be reading it to their own children when the time comes.

My only gripe with the poll was that the books were not really comparable. My kids at 6 and 3 love The Gruffalo and love some of the other books featured such as The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle and they both enjoyed Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet & Allan Ahlberg when they were a bit younger.

But we haven't yet reached the Enid Blyton Famous Five stage (although I loved them myself) and they're certainly not ready for The Lion,The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S.Lewis. And even though they love Roald Dahl films, they are still very much at the picture book stage.

So three cheers to the Jeremy Vine show for highlighting some quality children's literature. Just a shame that it had to be in competition format. It was a bit like watching sprinter race against a marathon runner!

4 comments:

  1. We love the Gruffalo at our house as well. Julia Donaldson writes fab kids stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is strange how they have to bulk them together like that insetad of spreading them over age groups. As though all kids are the same. but kudos to them for doing it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls love the Gruffalo and the Enid Blyton stories as well, though I agree they are for different ages. My daughter (7) is also a huge Jacqueline Wilson fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "The Gruffalo" to my little
    one last night (he is 6). we have had it for ages and he still loves it.

    ReplyDelete